Thursday, August 30, 2012

Brainstorming for Bathroom

You have no idea how much I appreciated the comments on nickel/chrome vs. brass. I am pretty decisive in my everyday life and prefer a plan and to-do list to plot out my days, weeks, and even months (no, seriously). This renovation has thrown my decision-making skills for a loop, and I'm pretty sure my husband is ready for a new dinner topic that does not revolve around tile choices, light fixtures, and hardware finishes. So thank you for listening and replying - made my day. 

On Monday, I was pretty sure I knew exactly what we would do with our bathroom. I'm going for something a little masculine, because we have a more feminine guest bath. I also want it to tie in to the era and feel of the rest of the house; so here are the inspiration images that I've been working with:

image from Southern Living

image from La Dolce Vita

I decided making a mock-up would be the best way to pull together all these ideas running around in my head to see a rough idea of how everything looks together.  I would also add in some fun accessories like vintage baskets, brass soap dishes, and a white shower curtain with fretwork. Plus, I found a really fun pattern for the hexagonal floor tiles that I'm hoping our contractor can re-create.


lighting from Hudson Valley | mirror from Pottery Barn | paint is Dorian Gray from Sherwin Williams | basket from Pottery Barn | console from Pottery Barn
knobs and pulls from Rejuvenation

Then, reading my September issue of House Beautiful, I was reminded of Miles Redd's amazing door:


Which got me to thinking that if we went with chrome and painted the console the perfect shade of robin's egg blue, it might keep the basic look of the bath just with a hint of color. I'd also throw in some more black accents to make the look a little more cohesive


lighting from Hudson Valley | paint is Meander Blue from Sherwin Williams

After pulling both boards together, I think I've made my decision about which bathroom I'm leaning towards, but I'm interested to hear what you think. Any preferences?

2 comments:

  1. Love both! I really like the idea of the blue on the console, but I like the lighting more in the first group of images. I think it is a win either way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go for the blue console for a splash of color. Plus, you're making it your own by integrating the color from the inspiration door, rather than trying to do your own spin on a single picture/idea. Let us know which one you pursue!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...