Monday, February 10, 2014

Chinoiserie Wallpaer

image via House Beautiful

image via Ruthie Sommers

First of all, being a true child of the 80s and 90s, I love wallpaper. I know a lot of people in the design world go mad for de Gournay, but I'll admit it isn't really my thing. I think the price tag always pushed me away and the idea that it seemed like it belonged in a octogenarian's formal parlor in Paris or New York. However, I keep seeing images (like the ones above) that are slowly changing my mind. I think the mix of textures makes them a little more my style and doesn't seem as overpowering. 

Then, I saw the house Sara Gilbane designed in this month's House Beautiful, and I became obsessed with the idea of painted wallpaper. Or, in the case of Gilbane's design, a mural painted over grasscloth. 

image via House Beautiful

This weekend, I came across Domesticate's new wallpapers on Spoonflower. She started with the idea of de Gournay wallpaper and created some really beautiful wallpapers. She created really feminine and beautiful colorways, and they look so much more luxe than the price point. Can you image how pretty they would look in a dining room or powder room? Even framing them as panels would be amazing.



I keep imagining Jenny peony on mist in our master bedroom, but Kyle vetoed the option. Until I can convince him, maybe I can convince one of you, because I will just have to stick to an iphone case from her Society6 shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...